What is XAMLTOON??

Coordinator
Jun 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2009 at 1:58 AM

For those interested in better animation for WPF and Silverlight, I posted a new project that I have begun working on to codeplex under MS-Public License called XAMLToon..

What is XAMLToon? It's a MS-Public License re-implementation of the ideas behind Microsoft's Wintoon APIs from the old Win16/win32S days (which required WinG). Some of you historically know this was PRE-DIRECTX.

My Background:

For those interested, I had the pleasure of working on these projects back in the old days before managed code as part of work I did for Media Station Inc. and Microsoft on and Microsoft's WinToon APIs for Win16/Win32s. With those we implemented the Disney Animated StoryBook Seriesincluding: Lion King, Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree, and Pocahontas and others including George Shrinks, If you Give a Mouse a Cookie, and Universal's Fractured Fairy Tales: The Frog Prince..

This implementation of the ideas behind WinToon,  will include such controls as a ToonElement (for WPF, Silverlight, and hopefully Silverlight Mobile), which extends the MediaElement to give full frame animation playback and tweening and a toon streaming animation playback that allows for full frame-by frame (with onion skinning) playback of animation files (based on current CODEC support and in the case of WPF DirectShow Filters). Multi-plane Camera functionality as well based on WPF 3D. 

Also in planning a first class animation tool for creating animation files and compositing them including future WPF 3D support. As well as conversion from several classic animation file formats, including .FLC, IFF ANIM (Thru ANIM8 and 24), Autodesk Animator Studio, AVI, WMF, WMV, WMA, AAC to todays formats including H.263, H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG 4. Plans are also present to support XAML storyboard output (with XAP support for Silverlight) as well so this tool can create 2D and 3D animations (frame-by-frame) for use in WPF and Silverlight web programs. Rotoscoping tools, and more.

This is an ambitious project I need your help. Please consider contributing some time..

I have waited to see full bitmap "style" animation that offers bitmap "style" frame by frame style full cel animation and we are already to Silverlight Version 3. So not seeing the professional tools I want to see for further high quality animation I decided to start re-implementing these ideas in a MS-PUBLIC license kind of way. I would love to have anyone collaborate who is interested in being involved in this project.

If anyone is interested in working on the project I invite contributions.. Please contact me don@donburnett.com

Developer
Jun 21, 2009 at 2:54 AM

I'd be glad to help. I'll contact you directly to get background details and a list of tasks to do.

Feb 25, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I've been wanting to make a program like this for a few years now - before there was a WinTab API for .Net from Wacom. I finally was able to go through that API and get it working.

The whole reason I went that route is because InkCollector/InkCanvas etc. would not receive pressure from my tablet. Tried everything, including installing different drivers, but nothing worked. I asked around on forums and nothing seemed to help.

Now I am trying to figure out how to do 2D raster and vector graphics with SlimDX. No one on the forums is helpful there either. They keep saying, "go read the DirectX documentation" which will not necessarily tell you how to do things with .Net.

I am currently working in Winforms but wanted to switch to WPF.

I'll help out if I can, and I'll definitely follow your progress!